Rice University

Rice University Center for Civic Leadership

Find a Fellowship

The Center for Civic Leadership advises on fellowships that allow students to continue current research, start new projects, attend graduate school, travel abroad, or obtain tuition funding. Fellowships are listed by topic below. Some are internal funding opportunities, and others are nationally competitive fellowships that require Rice nomination through the CCL.


International Research

  • The Fulbright Scholarship allows for individually designed study/research projects or an English Teaching Assistantship, and provides financial support for study/research/teaching in a single country.
  • The Wagoner Foreign Study Scholarship provides students the opportunity to conduct independent research abroad for a minimum of eight weeks up to one year. (only available to Rice students)
  • Kathryn Leebron Smyth Award provides returning undergraduates the opportunity to conduct independent research abroad for a minimum of six weeks. (only available to Rice students)


Study Abroad

  • The Abraham Broad Exchange Program provides returning Rice undergraduates the opportunity to study abroad for an academic year at the University of Cambridge in the UK. (only available to Rice students)


Travel/Explore Globally

  • The Thomas J. Watson Fellowship is a one-year grant for purposeful, independent exploration and travel outside the United States, awarded to graduating seniors to enhance their capacity for resourcefulness, imagination, openness, and leadership and to foster their humane and effective participation in the world community.
  • The Goliard and Brotzen Scholarships offers short-term, independent opportunities for students to travel abroad. The Goliard is experiential rather than research driven, and is focused on the personal growth of the student. Returning students are eligible. (only available to Rice students)
  • The Luce Scholarship provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional placement in Asia.
  • The Arthur and Shelley Gottschalk Traveling Grant for Musicians is for a current Music student's travel for unconventional experiences (not instruction or festivals). 


Undergraduate Funding


Graduate Study 

United States

  • The Beinecke Scholarship offers funding for juniors who demonstrate both financial need and scholastic achievement to pursue graduate school in the Humanities and Social Sciences. There are no geographic restrictions; students may study anywhere.
  • The Truman Scholarship is available to current juniors who intend to pursue a career in public service.
  • The P.D. Soros Fellowship for New Americans (external link) is a merit-based fellowship exclusively for immigrants and children of immigrants who are pursuing graduate school in the United States. This fellowship does not require university nomination.


  • The Marshall Scholarship is for the pursuit of a Master's degree in any field and at any institution in the United Kingdom.
  • The Mitchell Scholarship is designed for graduate studies at institutions within Ireland.
  • The Rhodes Scholarship sponsors study for any full-time postgraduate course offered by Oxford, whether a taught Master’s program, a research degree, or a second undergraduate degree (senior status).
  • The Churchill Scholarship offers awards for one year of graduate study at Churchill College, Cambridge with a strict focus on STEM fields.


  • The Schwarzman Scholarship is a fully-funded master’s in Global Affairs with concentrations in Public Policy, Economics and Business, or International Studies at Tsinghua University in Beijing.
  • The Yenching Academy of Peking University builds bridges between China and the world through an interdisciplinary Master’s program in China Studies with concentrations in Politics and International Relations, Philosophy and Religion, Literature and Culture, Law and Society, History and Archaeology, and Economics and Management.